27.10.10

do this now: world's best pancakes

pancakes5

Friends, today I am issuing you a plea. As I am a simple girl, I make only a simple request: in the name of all that's delicious, find a reason to make pancakes this weekend (or tomorrow...or RIGHT NOW.) Why? Because I truly believe that I've found what can only be described as the world's greatest pancake recipe--and I'm here to spread the gospel.

Let me preface by saying that these are no ordinary pancakes: they are Pumpkin Spice pancakes. So if you don't like pumpkin and you don't like spice...I suggest you get the hell outta my kitchen! I found this recipe, of all places, on the Opening Ceremony blog a little over a week ago, and have made them twice since then (and that is a serious show of self-control.) Both times they cooked up like fluffy little piles of warm, soft, moist clouds from heaven--and in the perfect quantity for two hungry people who REALLY like pancakes.

pancakes1
Assembling the troops.

pancakes3
Mmmmm, spice pile.

pancakes2
Go whole or go home!

pancakes4

A couple of tips:

• I've been adding a good spoonful (or around a tablespoon) of molasses to my wet ingredients, which gives the finished product an amazing gingerbread flavor.

• Seeing as it's fall and all, I really gotta urge you to make the pumpkin puree from scratch. Pumpkins are cheap and in season, and those things practically cook themselves. Here's a quick how-to. (And while we're at it: here's how to make buttermilk from scratch.)

• I haven't gotten around to making the Vanilla Bean Syrup they recommend (though I can only imagine the wonder) but I cannot impress upon you enough how crucial the Cinnamon Butter is. Seriously, it takes all of five minutes to whip up, and it will increase the yum-factor twenty-fold.

pancakes6

Aaagh looking at these photos is literally like torture right now. Maybe we can make these a new Halloween breakfast tradition? Or like...a Tuesday breakfast tradition?? Whatever it takes guys, I'm telling you: do this now!!

13 comments:

Sewon said...

the pancakes look sooo good! if i can only find pumpkin puree here, i'd make those in a heartbeat. p.s. i love any of kenny shopsin's pancake recipes from the shopsins cookbook. i highly recommend it! :]

Emily Rose said...

i. love. pancakes. and these sounds absolutely delish! definitely gonna try them out. im a bit fan of banana pancakes as well. oh man i just love breakfast!

Tiffany said...

yes.

discotheque confusion said...

ah ma gad, I am sold!
I swear I've been anticipating Halloween for months just so that I can make full use of the pumpkin flesh after hollowing to create an array of matchy matchy pumpkin dishes. so this is top of the list.

and as my friends and I study American Studies I have initiated a thanksgiving meal too, need to get practising on the pumpkin pie (which I'm guessing I can use the puree recipe for?) before the end of November!

Hope you're well, lovely. Glad to see you have lots of exciting things going on with the styling and that 'fuck! no work!' blip is behind you! X

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

um yes, these look so bomb. Pumpkin spice anything rules my life so I will definitely have to give this recipe a whirl :)

xx
MILK TEETHS

Sarah Bahbah said...

oh yum!

Meg said...

AH OMG they look soooo good. I;m totally making these when I'm home

marissa (stylebook) said...

honestly, the only thing i care about this time of year is pumpkin spice. devoting an entire photo post to it this week! i might make these saturday- thanks for the recipe!!

Zoë said...

I don't know where I'm going to get pumpkin pie filling here in Glasgow/the U.K.... anyone?

I love you even more for posting this! This will make my xmas papers pass in a spice fuelled haze!!

Love Elizabeth Joy said...

Yum, homemade pancakes sound so good. I've only ever made them using pancake mix, I'll have to try them from scratch sometime.

Xoxo,
Liz
http://crystal-lized.blogspot.com/

Kristin said...

sounds like a recipe worth trying.

Rhiannon said...

Oh no, I think you've posted another thing I need to make . . . like, tomorrow.

Kate said...

oh my lord, they look delicious, its like midnight here but now all i want is those! cool blog excellent title!
http://mcqueenismymorphine.blogspot.com/