8.4.10

sun was high (so was I)



I don't usually get all that excited about new/current music, but when I do, I get EXCITED (think Girls here...) I've been listening to Best Coast, either on the stereo or in my brain, basically non stop for the last few weeks. I went and saw them play last night at Mercury Lounge and it was, yep, the best. There's a quality about Bethany's voice that I find irresistible--powerful, a bit of a rasp at the edges, occasionally seeming to teeter on the edge of breaking only to pull back at the last second.

Someone has made a couple of amazing videos for her songs using footage from old films. The one above is a scene from Les Demoiselles de Rochefort. Be sure to check out the one from Un Homme Et Une Femme as well! And go see Best Coast if you have the chance, you wont be sorry you did.

P.S. Funny story: before I ever knew who Bethany was or had heard of Best Coast, I used to follow her (now-defunct) flickr because she would always post amazing things like tatoos of bong-smoking dolphins. Fast forward several months, and I end up with an internship at FADER...only to find out eventually that Bethany held the same position as I did right before my arrival. She was responsible for the excellent Thrintage column, and by extension, for making me miss California even more than I already did, no small feat indeed.

11 comments:

Camille said...

I'm seeing Best Coast this Monday in Montreal, your post made me even more excited about the show!

Love_Again said...

I have been listening to Best Coast non stop recently. I was even listening to Sun Was High when I went to my recent blogger feed and this very post popped up. freaky.

tara-lynn / good night, day said...

the girl from pocahaunted too...my ol man fills the house with this also!
too bad its a now defunct flicker

Alex said...

I love Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, such a fun pretty movie. Lovely music, will keep listening!

iliketweet said...

Definitely heading straight to Spotify now...

tweet tweet tweet

x

Anonymous said...

i love les demoiselles de rochefort !

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/
blog of a french girl

Melinda said...

Thanks for sharing this! I am now obsessed with this song and the video. They remind me a little of The Muffs. Good band. Wish they were still making music.

ELM said...

I'm such a sucker for med-fi!! Great choice!

Anonymous said...

wow great video !

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

Zoë said...

I've been listening to Best Coast for a couple of months now, i was excited to made the discovery too - her music makes me excited for the summer. i love the song you posted, the video syncing is just perfect too. i also love 'that's the way boys are'

x

Michelle Pauly said...

I just saw a link for your site via sallyjanevintage and not only do I enjoy your site but this post! I just posted about Best Coast on my site about a week ago because I was excited to see the show too! It was great, of course. Just wanted to say hi and that we I love your taste in music! Hope you check out www.yellowbirdd.com