20.11.09

sofia in b&w

sofiaanother

sofia2s0byjb

sofia2gudxfl

Waiting for a friend in Around the World today, flipping through Another Magazine, I opened to the first shot up top and caught my breath. I love it so much--the scruffy hair, the bare legs, the messy, slept-in blankets. The fact that she's wearing Chloé doesn't hurt either. While looking for a scan, I came across the last two photos, both equally arresting but in such different ways.

I feel like Sofia has one of those faces, sort of like Cate Blanchett, that I remember being described somewhere as "not always pretty but always fascinating" (my poor paraphrasing...) Anyways, I think she's great.

(click photos for sources)

12 comments:

Jenny said...

I love Sofia's hair in the first and last photos. She has really good hair.

Amy said...

>>>I feel like Sofia has one of those faces, sort of like Cate Blanchett, that I remember being described somewhere as "not always pretty but always fascinating" (my poor paraphrasing...)

Jolie laide! French for "pretty ugly" that actually refers to women who are striking rather than beautiful, odd-looking and oddly/surprisingly attractive, and more or less dark. The word "changeling" comes to mind...

Other oft-cited examples:
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Juliette Lewis
Jeanne Moreau
Anjelica Huston

Love the pictures!

anne said...

such beautiful photos. i love her!

Colleen said...

she's great, i especially love that last photo. way to rock a pony tail!

Kennedy said...

i love her! have you seen the 3rd godfather? its a pretty awful movie but she kind of stars in it so that makes it kind of awesome.

calivintage said...

ah, me too! remember that marc jacobs perfume campaign she did? and i love that last photo of her.

Little Lost Treasures said...

I agree! beautiful photos :)

Unknown said...

I was looking at these photos thinking 'What is it about her?' and I think you have it exactly right, she might not be pretty-pretty but she is so fascinating I always want to know more/see more about her.

E-BAD said...

both have beautiful but different noses and high cheekbones.

dw said...

she is just grand, one of my favorites. there's nothing too interesting about a typically pretty girl...

Catherine Shu said...

These photos are all great... I love the unique beauty that Cate Blanchett and Sofia Coppola have and it always surprises me to hear that they are not considered "conventionally" beautiful!
the renegade bean

Mimisatin said...

I love sofia coppola and lost in translation