21.6.11

BASICS

Recently, a reader asked me to share some of my wardrobe staples for both summer and winter. I definitely have an awful lot of riff-raff hanging out in my closet, but there are a few basic things that I rely on and that are pretty integral to my wardrobe. That said, it should be noted that I'm still on the hunt, as I have been for ages now, for a few of these things. The perfect (or even acceptable) camel coat still eludes me, as do a quality pair of black leather flats. And those Acne boots will continue to haunt me for many moons to come, I guarantee it...

Picture 183
Summer: striped top // sisal tote (similar) // silk button-up // simple leather sandals (similar) // jean shorts // watch (similar) // sunglasses

As much as I love a little floral sundress, when it comes to warm weather dressing I invariably fall back on my shorts. Quite simply, they're the best thing for adventuring: for crouching on rooftops or lolling around at backyard BBQs, for running and jumping and climbing. Stripes and cream silk tops, sloppily tucked, and flat sandals that I can walk long and hard in are also in heavy rotation.

Picture 184
Winter: grey sweater // scarf // camel coat // black flats // trousers (similar) // boots

It's not exactly a secret how I feel about Winter. I hate it. Winter is great for about two weeks around Christmas, and otherwise it can go screw itself. I also have a hard time finding winter clothes that I like, seeing as a) they're always too expensive and b) I'm one of about twenty five people who is not REMOTELY excited by the idea of layering, heh. But all pissing and moaning aside, I like to try and keep things relatively simple when the weather allows. Since I have a real aversion to tights, I spend most of winter in trousers and jeans with boots or flats, and a colored scarf breaks up the sea of black and grey that the city becomes in the cold months.

Picture 185
Beauty: lotion // cleanser // mascara // ointment // bright pink polish

I thought I'd throw in a bit about beauty as well just for fun. I don't wear a lot of make-up, but mascara (and blush, though I'm not particular) are absolute necessities. I've used Full 'n Soft since high school and I can attest that it lives up to its name. Aquaphor Healing Ointment is a lifesaver for chapped hands and lips (uuuurrrgh winter!!!) and Cetaphil is gentle but thorough year-round. I'm a bit crazy for bright pink accents at the moment, and I've been wearing Revlon in Sweet Tart on my toes for weeks (though NARS would do nicely too.) Finally, the scent of this lotion always takes me back to a time when I lived in a place where lemons grew on trees. It's sunshine through leaves and grass between your toes--and it makes my skin soft too.

23 comments:

amie k said...

Hey!

Lovely post! I love your winter selction, they're exactly the sort of clothes I'd wear!

Those Acne Pistols are amazing-I wrestled with my conscience but couldn't quite afford them, though I adore them!

Much love amie

www.creditcrunchchic.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love your summer collection. I have approximately 20 more striped shirts than I could ever wear, but I love their simplicity too much and am always on the hunt for the perfect stripe, cut, and color.

Eva said...

Oh, the Acne boots <3

Kate said...

Love it all. I detest layering - it all gets bunched up and uncomfortable and I end up feeling swaddled rather than cosy. Thank god we have the rest of summer to go.

sweet harvest moon said...

Love every single item!

chelsee said...

I like you! and your choices :)

Eva said...

I love your selections- minimal but could be added to if need be. I love outfit collages like this :)

http://thatsjustmybag.onsugar.com/

Amy said...

great summer staples! i think i can tick them all off :)

http://bangandbuck.blogspot.com

Ringo, have a banana! said...

I'm glad you guys like my picks :n )

lookthroughmyspecs: At latest count, I have seven striped tops and I only want MORE haha! There's just so many slight variations and they're all so good and so classic, how can we resist??

Kate: I'm so glad you understand dislike of layering! Don't get me wrong, some people are really good at it, and more power to you if you have got it down and feel great in them, but my dream is to not have to put more than three pieces of clothes on, ever, heh.

leilani.e said...

While I don't totally disagree with you on the layering thing (I like it in a why-are-you-so-freakin'-difficult love-hate way), I'm with you on tights. Why is it so difficult to find a decent pair of comfortable, warm tights? Particularly as a tall gal - apparently women don't come in shapes over 5'9". I accidentally picked up one 'tall' pair a few weeks ago that had a limit of 5'6". I am 5'10" on a short & slouchy day, and the shortest woman in my family to boot. Grrar.

Sorry to get totally off subject! Such solid basics, huzzah!

Annalise said...

I love all your picks! That NARS nail color is incredible. And I agree with you, shorts are SO great for the summer months.
XOXO

Caitlin Rose said...

lemon lotion! amazing : ) I really enjoyed this post, I find that the things that I just wear everyday and the things I photograph for my blog are totally different. I need to work on my day to day outfits, they are usually a bit raddy because I've spent all my money on outrageous purchased.

Maggie said...

I love this. I always fall back on shorts in the summertime too, and I can't stand wearing tights in the wintertime. Since it seems like every stylish girl on the interwebz breaks out the tights as soon as it gets cold, I'm glad you are one stylish girl who's with me!

iliketweet said...

I can see you with all of these pieces!

Love Tweet

xx

AlexDylanGrohl said...

i just LOVE your summer choices: simple but pretty. i just got two questions:

a) How do you wear the tops with the shorts, in or out????

b) do you think that kind of shorts would look good with simple balck flats.

im asking you because i'm terrible at this things...

Ringo, have a banana! said...

a) I'm pretty much devoted to the tuck at this point. I tuck in everything. Sometimes I just tuck the front and leave the back kinda loose (you know, to switch it up a bit haha!)

b) Yes, 100% yes! That's one of my favorite looks as a matter of fact. It's the kind of thing that folks like Alexa Chung and Kirsten Dunst have nailed. I prefer flats that have a good solid sole and a bit of structure (as opposed to the really flimsy kind that are more true "ballet" type shoes) and I think those compliment jean shorts the very best :n )

Hope that helps, and thanks!

AlexDylanGrohl said...

Than you very much, you're such a cool person. Thank you again from Tijuana, Mexico! and enjoy your summer.

Alex

Kennedy said...

your winter outfit is perfect! i also could not care less about layering and hate to be cold so I end up feeling like a huge bummer from the end of sept. to late may when winter finally decides to be over up here.
ps: saw you had a bday recently! hope it was the happiest <3

alexa said...

love your summer and winter outfits! totally know what you mean by the perfect item eluding you...I have that with finding the perfect black trousers! those acne boots are to die for too...

Tricia said...

full n' soft is the absolute best! glad to see it getting some love.

Anonymous said...

I love the ideas for the summer look besides that shorts and the shirt as so perfect combined with the bag. Just lovely for the summer hot days.

Greets holiday apartment london

Unknown said...

Great selection of pictures, first to say. I love the summer variety. Great job.

Regards, cheap flats Barcelona
vacation rental in Barcelona
short term rentals Barcelona

Holly said...

This items are so perfect, love the breton top, straw bag and Chanel pumps. Endless classics that you can wear over and over. Definitely looks I would want in my wardrobe!

Great blog, really inspiring.
Holly

http://pickleisatreat.blogspot.com